Tuesday, March 24, 2020

RPGs in Comic Format

I'm working on an RPG that will be published in comic book format. Probably put the PDF on DriveThru and the physical book on Lulu (they print comics too). I've seen other RPG books in this format, such as the wonderful awesome Mortzengersturm. What others are out there?

I like this format for this particular game idea because it encourages more art, in color, and it also encourages using and abusing the physical book at the table. Bend it, write on it, even tear pages out if you want. Because the price point is at least somewhat lower than other forms of printing.

Of course I could push that envelope more by making it black and white. You can print BW comics pretty damn cheap. But I kinda want this to be colorful as fuck.

8 comments:

  1. There's "The Supercrew" by Tobias Radesäter. It's a Swedish game that's been translated into English. It's presented in a comic book format. It's very rules-lite. I've had it for several years but have never played it.

    http://www.lulu.com/shop/tobias-rades%C3%A4ter/the-supercrew/ebook/product-17491538.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I love the little easter eggs such as sleeping Cthulhu.

      Delete
  2. Here's a link to the The Supercrew homepage in English. It has a couple of sample pages to give you an idea of what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Swedish superhero RPG "Super Crew" was published in comic book format, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea! I haven't seen it myself, but I believe Tenra Bansho Zero is a bit like this. Rather than colour it yourself, why not encourage folks to colour theirs once they've picked it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a neat idea. For this particular idea I want to color it myself, though. But I do dig this so thanks. I might do other experiments like this in BW, since the price point is so much lower. I'm not even sure what the price point is right now, but last time I checked you could get a BW comic printed on cheap stock for a few bucks.

      Delete
  5. The whole rpg as a comic? Panel to panel rules? In color? Fuck yeah that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not this one. Not exactly. What I'm working on is a 100% hand-lettered RPG in comic book size format. It's not a comic, but more of an art book RPG that looks a bit like a comic.

      Delete