Sunday, October 6, 2024

Artists I Like: Jeffrey Catherine Jones

This week's entry is a figure with which I am only marginally familiar, though I've seen her work all over the place.

Jeffrey Catherine Jones, born in 1944, did a ton of book covers in the 60s and 70s. Luscious work, rich in somber colors and visceral figures. When I see a Jones piece, I usually am reminded of old 70s books I saw as a kid that had those muted colors. There a King Arthur book I had... no idea what it was called or how I got it. And the art in it was similar to Jones's vibe, at least in my memory. The figures were dramatic, and the themes kind of morose and dark.

Jones seems to have lived as a man for most of her life, transitioning in the 90s. I can't imagine how hard it would have been to grow up in those times and struggle with something as deep, fundamental, and confusing as gender. And to have the courage to speak to the world who you are... years before the topic became a mainstream discussion? Amazing.

She did work for Creepy, Witzend, Vampirella... and had some collaborations with my favorite artist Vaughn Bodé.










No comments:

Post a Comment