Saturday, February 18, 2023

Before GOZR... Sand


For years, since ye olde G+ days, I had this idea called Dead Wizards. It was to be a pure sword and sorcery RPG filtered through my own personal S&S lens. It was a desert setting, borrowing from some of the same well of ideas that Al Qadim borrowed from... but not too explicitly. I didn't describe it as "Arabic" or anything like that. I got my inspirations from those sources, but also many others across the world and throughout fantasy fiction. Eventually I changed the name Dead Wizards to Sand in the Bone because (what a shitty reason) I didn't want the "DW" to be confused with Dungeon World. No shade on Dungeon World, just wanted to be distinct.

Anyhow... the development of that game stalled multiple times and eventually I hit on a basic system I liked and wanted to test out. But I didn't want to run it in the Dead Wizards/Sand in the Bone setting. So I got some inspiration from watching Heavy Metal again and one day I scribbled "GOZR" on some paper and the rest is history.

So GOZR basically looted the corpse of Dead Wizards for its system and even its map. The DNA of this game shifted from a gritty S&S pulp style RPG to a post-apoc sci-fantasy romp.

Lately I've been revisiting Dead Wizards in my mind, allowing my brain to wander over it and feel out what was magical about the idea to begin with. Maybe it'll lead to something I can publish. Who knows?

Here are some ancient posts talking about Dead Wizards. Much of this info is probably no longer applicable, but perhaps you'll enjoy it anyway. You've read this far.

Gad'Juth

Kanebok

Big Swords

Initiative (and the origin of Threat from GOZR)

Game Design is Hard

Reflection on Dead Wizards


No comments:

Post a Comment