Friday, October 9, 2020

Not-Inktober + Life Size Life

What is going on, you ask?

I made a pathetic attempt at Inktober, but quickly abandoned the foolish idea. I did the entire month 2 years ago and that was fun and timely. But last October I was neck-deep in Supercalla and my mom's declining health and this year my spirit is just not in it. I'm busy with GOZR and just surviving.


To be honest, I'm in a lull. I get this way from time to time and it sucks but it's just part of my artistic journey. It happens. I get in the lull generally on the heels of some creative high - probably completing Cozmic Metal Heads. Then I eventually come out of it and hit some new creative high. And that's fine with me as long as I keep creating. That's really all I care about, as an artist. I want to keep working. I'm happiest when I'm creating. Games, comics, random drawings... doesn't matter.

And that's the most urgent thing I would tell any creator who is struggling with any aspect of creativity. Just keep doing it. It is the act of creation that matters more than anything. You can dream about creating, and that is fun and rewarding. You can look back fondly on what you created, and that is also fun and rewarding. But nothing compares to the pleasure of being in the act of creation. Especially if you have confidence and faith in the thing you're doing.

That's probably my biggest weakness. I lack faith in my own work. I find comfort and strength in peoples' comments, though they are rare. It is lonely work doing this stuff. Any signal that I'm reaching someone is like fresh air, a cold drink, or a hot meal.

Bit of a rambly post but it's on my mind and I wanted to share it. Now I'm off to noodle about a new game idea. But aren't you working on GOZR?? Yes... but there's room for other ideas to germinate. I love having multiple ideas cooking at once. Though... if I'm honest... I'd prefer to have 100% focus on one thing at a time. Just not in the cards for me, I'm afraid.

4 comments:

  1. I mostly know writers, I'm a novel writer, and this is spot on. Big high, then a lull, then a big high. Few are turning out top content 365 days a year.

    As for needing some validating feedback, I'm looking at your Black Pudding right now, trying to figure out how to format my RPG, wishing I had the art skills to draw, letter, and design it just like you. I'd even settle for looking like a cheap knock off. It'll likely end up looking more like a Palladium book. Not bad, but not exactly what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My method of working on Black Pudding (and GOZR) is absolutely NOT how you're SUPPOSED to do it. I design, write, draw, and layout all at once on a canvas by hand (digitally, on a tablet). It's incredibly fun for me and the immediacy hits me in the right feels. But it's full of pitfalls and I have to edit and redo stuff constantly... just like you do if you're designing the smart way. BTW, I'm all in favor of people doing passion books however they like, inspired by Black Pudding or whatever they like. Not a knock-off... a labor of love!

      Delete
  2. You'd get more comments from me if my stupid blogspot would play nice with my iOS browser! I can't log in with my google account, and comments let without an account seem to disappear into the ether.... Don't know if you'll get this but of course I won't get a notification if you reply because I can't seem to log in....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see ya! I will try to post these over on Twitter more often. I keep forgetting.

      Delete