Sunday, June 2, 2024

Artists I Like: Marie Severin

Part of this series about creators who make me happy.

I love the fact that I can discover "new" artists I never really heard of before... even if I have really heard of them before! Marie Severin fits that description because I'm positive I saw her work at some point as a kid in some comic or another. And I know I heard the name. But I didn't know Marie was a comic artist. Go figure.

Born in New York? Check. Born a long damn time ago? Check (1929). A KILLER artist? CHECK. Marie Severin had all the right stuff to be a Mighty Marvel Master. And she was. I think she is probably best known for drawing the Hulk, Doctor Strange, and Not Brand Echh!, which was Marvel's in house parody comic sort of riffing on Mad, I think.












3 comments:

  1. I could be wrong but a John severin drew for cracked magazine. Was that a pen name? The kill cover looks like the same style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brother, actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Severin

      Delete
  2. That Yoda, with the Chinese-watercolor-inspired background ... he's seen some shit.

    ReplyDelete