Sunday, April 14, 2024

Artists I Like: Jaimie Hernandez

Yet another great artist I really like. And this one isn't trivial... Jaimie Hernandez is a giant of comics, a trend setter, a legend.

Now, I didn't really read Love & Rockets. I knew of it, but didn't see it or have access to it back in the day. What I did have is the trade paperback of Eros Comics' Birdland by Gilbert Hernandez... but that's for a different post.

Jaimie is amazing. How can one artist do so much with so few lines? A shadow here, a bold line there, and done. Hell, many of his faces are just like 2 or 3 lines. It's magic.

Jaimie's representations of various body types is truly inspiring. I remember seeing these comics back in the day, but not reading them, and was super inspired by this fact. No two characters look the same. Everyone has a vibe and a style that feels authentic. The bodies feel like they are real.

This grounding is present for all the art, including backgrounds. Reading a page of his work, you get a strong sense of place. You are never lost or wondering what the panels are doing (unless that is the goal). And his consistency across panels and pages is unparalleled.

I think if we can ever use the phrase "a comics genius", we can use it for Jaimie Hernandez.

This really is the good shit.










 

4 comments:

  1. Oh gosh yes. So much done with so little. Genius.

    I haven't read a lot of the brothers' work because the stories don't grab me, but the art, the art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much of it either. Just love the look and vibe. And of course the visual storytelling.

      Delete
  2. I think there must be a lot of similar stories with regard to JH and his work. It was relatively late in my comics life that I first took a look at Love & Rockets, after knowing of it as this legendary indie title for so long. I was blown away by how REAL it all felt...how much I could identify with the characters and how the art was so uncluttered by everything except the stuff that actually makes real life messy. Thanks for mentioning this...I think I should take a deeper dive into the title...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had copies back in the day. But honestly back then I might not have even recognized how good it is. I had a short attention span.

      Delete