Sunday, April 28, 2024

Artists I Like: Dave Cooper

Another great one!

Dave Cooper is a weird, weird artist and I love him with all my heart.

I first ran across him probably in the early 2000s when a friend loaned me a stack of books that included Ripple. I was blown away by the book's honesty, ugliness, and beauty all at the same time. That's Dave Cooper. Honest, ugly, and painfully beautiful. Not for kids, though he did do some kids' TV shows such as Pig Goat Banana Cricket and The Bagel and Becky Show.

His paintings have a wet glow that I adore. I don't know how he pulls it off. They simultaneously look weird and creepy but also warm and happy and sensitive. I guess if you have trypophobia or scoleciphobia some of his work might set you off. I'm sorry about that. It's a hard world for the small things, isn't it?









No comments:

Post a Comment