More cool options for low level play - which is where most of my gaming takes place.
How is this different from the standard MU?
1. An extra spell at level 1.
2. More versatility in spell levels you can memorize.
3. Ability to use weapons and armor in a sensible way beyond "you can't use that".
4. Putting magical research and potion making front and center so the players will actually USE them.
5. Some immediate weirdness... a minor magical item, reaction roll penalty, etc.
6. Combining MU and Cleric spells because I honestly don't care about Clerics at all. I don't need them.
Note that this Wizard can only memorize a spell once at a time. So they cannot be a healbot with multiple Cure Light Wounds.
I'm open to arguments for why this iteration of the Wizard is broken. I might have a blind spot so I appreciate feedback. This will likely end up in whatever Yria setting book I end up publishing.
Some of this was inspired by Stuart Robertson's old B/X Witch class, which I really adore.
EDIT: A hero in comments pointed out some errors so I fixed 'em. Hopefully better now.