Sunday, September 22, 2024

GOZR Drawing


Working on some new GOZR stuff.

One thing I loved about making this game was just how liberating it was. I was inventing a new game right there on the page, drawing and noodling and doodling all on the canvas as I went. I didn't have a ton of preliminary thought on this. I just kind of went into it wild.

I created the entire project digitally, drawing it with my Intuos 4 tablet and Photoshop 7. This is old tech, now. Most of you who use digital tools probably use much more recent hardware and software. Hell, PS7 came out in 2002 for fuck's sake. What the hell am I doing using 22 year old software?

Because the shit works for what I do. It's not like they didn't understand how to make drawing software 22 years ago. They did. And PS7 was very good for drawing (the way I do it).

Anyway, software and hardware aside, it is very liberating to draw digitally. I know I've been talking about how much I absolutely love drawing with traditional media for the past several years, but I'm also a big huge lover of drawing digitally. And I'll tell you why.

When I was working on GOZR pages I could let my creativity go nuts because of the great benefit of the medium: nothing is permanent. Lay down a bunch of strokes that you don't like? Undo. Or erase. Either way, they're gone. Do some different ones. You put that d6 table too close to the edge of the canvas? Nudge the whole thing over. Or you can just shove words or sentences or images around willy-nilly. You can reduce the size of something a little bit so you can fit another d6 table. You can fade something into the background so you can put some words over it.

In a word, this is fun.

Not that I'm abandoning all those brush pens I yak about.

You see, that's the beauty of being a free spirit artist. You don't have to marry one thing or the other. You can draw on your tablet, then shove it to the side and whip out a sketchbook. And I do that all the time.

Currently working on some GOZR revisions and a comic. Have a great Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment