Sunday, September 8, 2024

Artists I Like: Sergio Aragonés

Groo is another comic I didn't collect or even see when I was young and it's a damn shame. But it never showed up in my neck of the woods. I think I saw some ads here and there because I knew the name, but just didn't have any opportunity that I knew of to get my hands on it. I guess Flo's Flea Market quarter comics boxes didn't have any Groo.

Of course, Sergio Aragonés is not simply the Groo guy. He was a Mad Magazine guy first, and a hell of a good one. He was known as one of the fastest cartoonists around.

Take a look at any Groo page and just marvel at the little details. The buildings look like they have real form and usage, the costumes are unusual but have a ring of truth to them. They are weird. The people are weird. But not in a "anything goes" kind of way. They are weirdly real. And yet wildly, wildly insane.

Aragonés has a command of form and movement and expression that is beyond superhuman. As a cartoonist myself, I am in awe of his powers. Just flip to any random Groo page and look at how he draws swords, for example. They have so much character. I caution people against holding any other artists in too high a regard. But I find myself breaking that rule and elevating Sergio Aragonés to a godlike status in my mind. And I think he deserves it.











Aragones' sword game is strong.

3 comments:

  1. This explains a lot of influences of your art. I know Groo a little through the Usagi Yojimbo comics, and I think I should give him a chance, much more now that I'm deeper into D&D themes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the comics are great! They are repetitive, of course, because the joke is always that Groo is very stupid. But Sergio makes it great.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete