Sunday, August 4, 2024

Artists I Like: Goran Gligović

Here's an entry into this series that I probably should have got to sooner. Goran Gligović is one of those currently active, ass-kicking artists I know from social media and some of the books he's worked on... but I don't know much more about him than that.

One thing you'll notice... if you visit Goran's social media looking for Goran artwork... you'll find it, but you'll also find a metric TON of reposts of work by other artists. Get comfortable when you do this because Goran is a great curator of talent, I think. Spending a few minutes scrolling through his page leads me to many creators I didn't know or didn't pay attention to before. I love it when artists are generous with their time and their space, giving room for others.

Goran's work is picture book gothic. That's kind of how I describe it. Design-heavy, a bit psychedelic, and, to my eyes at least, very rich in a 70s aesthetic that I adore. This is work that would elevate Metal Hurlant.











2 comments:

  1. Goran is absolutely incredible. I have been a big dorky fan for years and I believe he's one of the finest artists out there today. He has a very modern mastery over a 1970s-1980s paperback aesthetic that no one else possesses and it lights up the parts of my brain dedicated to awesome new art and nostalgia at the same time. His fake animated 1970s Elric movie is so beyond perfect it's something I actively yearn to be real. I think about that project of his at least once a week. His eye for the idiosyncrasies of those animated movies, the rotoscoping and the Don Bluth stuff and whatnot, it's unbeatable. Somewhere out there is a universe in which it was real and I wish I were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! That would be fantastic. And I agree. His work screams "awesome fantasy paperback".

      Delete