Friday, April 5, 2024

Old and New

Here's a really old drawing from the late 90s. Character name is Lutura and I have no memory of her at all. She was either a D&D character or a comic script character who never went anywhere.

I have a bunch of these old drawings that represent me kind of floundering in my 20s, not really hitting my vibe yet. This drawing is OK, but not something I love. I wasn't in love with art at that time. I wasn't in love with much of anything at that time. I was fishing around for inspiration and not finding it. I was barely even drawing, basically never gaming, and not really interacting with people much. This was before I even owned a computer so I wasn't online yet, though I did have a Yahoo email address and went to the public library once a month to check it. Let that sink in, you folks under a certain age.


 A couple of years later I would go through a pretty shitty depression and actually give up on art and game design for a short time. I remember entering 2000 in that way. I spent months only doodling and writing in a journal and thinking maybe I'd try my hand at writing fiction (hint: that went nowhere).

Then, sometime around 2001-2002, I had a break. I had a moment. I had an inspiration. Something changed. Part of it was the internet. I connected with people online and found places where I could show my work. It was the boost of having people react to it that drove me to be creative again.

Here's one of the first drawings I did at that time when I felt the light bulb go off. The date on the JPG file says 2002, but I'm not sure when I drew it. Probably 2002.



No comments:

Post a Comment