Sunday, September 15, 2024

Artists I Like: Earl Norem

Earl Norem is a legend. From men's magazines to baseball to toys to comics, he has illustrated more covers than I have eaten Milky Way bars... and that's saying a lot.

When I was a teenager I discovered Savage Sword of Conan and, of course, Norem eventually showed up on a cover (he did at least 48 SSoC covers!) and, at that time, I was not as blown away by him as with Joe Jusko or Michael Golden. It felt like I was seeing an older painter at work and his style was out of synch with what I expected.

But he won me over. I kept seeing Norem covers and kind of fell in love with his textures and colors and old school aesthetic. I can't say just how much his work has influenced me, to be honest. Maybe not that much. I don't know. But he's been in my head canon since the 80s so there must be some osmosis happening.

Earl Norem died in 2015 at the age of 92. A WWII vet, and a massively accomplished and respected illustrator.



 








3 comments:

  1. Emergency! He did an illustration of the TV show Emergency!? How cool. That, along with Adam 12, was one of my favorite live action shows when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a vague memory of Emergency, but for years I wasn't sure if it was a real memory until the internet solved that problem. I remember being a kid and playing with those little plastic figures you'd get in a bag for cheap. I had a sack of firefighters and I'd set them up all over the house, climbing tables and things. Show must have been popular at that time because I don't recall having or caring about firefighters before or after. But I was only 7-8 years old so who knows.

      Delete
  2. I think I started watching it around that age. It had been on for a couple of years already. You can tell how long it is in its run by how long their hair is. Loved everything firefighter.

    ReplyDelete