Monday, March 18, 2019

Droono Duckshar

In one of the last Rabbits & Rangers games I ran, the PCs went up against Count Drake-Yulla in his forbidding haunted castle. They never encountered his arch-rival, Droono Duckshar the Fowl Wizard!


This was a random thing I drew last night. I am in the midst of a bit of creative blockage so anything I manage to put down on paper (digitally or otherwise) is a boost to my confidence.

This was interesting because the entire time I doodled it I was pondering the direction of the game. As it stands, R&R is a perfectly fine Labyrinth Lord supplement. You can see that I referenced several things from the book on this sheet. But the ultimate question I've been asking since the book came out is what is R&R going to be in the future? Is it a LL supplement or a game of its own? If a game of its own, then I have no reason to stick with pure D&D rules. I've posted many times about this topic. I have written lots of versions of the game that are not D&D-based. But something keeps me tethered to the old rules. It's as if R&R was always meant to be funny animals in dungeons... so why would I use alternate rules? I have no high-and-lofty theme in mind beyond funny animals with swords. I could write this as a standalone game with an original rule set, going the way of Ironclaw or The World Tree. And that would be fine, except I feel like anyone playing it will simply say "this is just D&D with different rules".

And yet there are plenty of people who will look at the current R&R and say "this is just more D&D stuff... with goofy talking frogs."

You can't please 'em all.

When I think about it and let my hair down, this whole thing can be summed up in a simple equation:

Looney Tunes + Conan + D&D = Rabbits & Rangers

So you'll know what to expect when I know what to expect.

4 comments:

  1. To be frank, the fact that R&R is an LL-supplement was what draw me to it. In fact, I was just daydreaming about using R&R with B/X Essentials (especially with the upcoming Advanced class options).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that feedback. In the end, I have to remember that it's not EITHER or OR, it can be BOTH AND.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ynas, the fact that R&R was an LL supplement made this a quick and easy purchase for me. I hope you still plan on releasing more R&R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I always have plans. I already wrote 50 more animals for the second edition or second supplement, I just couldn't decide how to proceed. A second book or a combined book with 100 critters?

      Delete