Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Quick Init II

QUICK INITIATIVE II

In Black Pudding #1 I presented my method for dealing with initiative on page 23 (“Quick Init”). I adopted this method a while back because I was not satisfied with group initiative (no consideration for fast PCs) or individual initiative (too many rolls, slows combat down). The quick method is to just roll a die and the result is how many PCs get to act first. The GM would then decide which PCs get to go in what order, based on context.

This really works. But I'm finding that the method as presented in Black Pudding tends to grant a strong preference to PCs unless you modify the die roll or the die being rolled based on context. But I don't present much of a description on how to do that.

So here's a revision of the method I think I'll test on my players. This revision simplifies the rule even more by reducing it to a single die type and dismissing the idea of going up or down die steps.

  1. Roll 1d6-1. The result is how many PCs get to act before the enemies.
  2. Natural 1 = no PCs go first.
  3. Natural 6 = all PCs go first.
  4. +1 to roll if the party contains any rangers, hunters, elves, monks, or ninja types.
  5. -1 to first initiative roll if the party was preoccupied with another activity.
  6. -1 to all initiative rolls if party is outnumbered.

And that's it. Of course, surprise rules still apply.

If you happen to be running a game with a very small party, such as 2 or 3 PCs, you could use a d4 instead. But I feel like the d6 is fitting for typical party sizes and it gives a reasonable chance for either side to totally win initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment